Friday, August 19, 2011

Silpat Mats (A Love Story)

SilpatmatsOMG! I could weep with joy. I thought owning Silpat mats would be okay (clearly, or I wouldn’t have registered for them), but they’ve exceeded my wildest baking dreams.

  1. Nothing sticks to them and you don’t use cooking spray or oil with them.
  2. They distribute heat evenly, so you don’t have burned bits or undercooked bits or inconsistent bits of any kind whatsoever! 
I made the best, most evenly-cooked (read: top and bottom evenly-cooked) peanut butter cookies of my whole life on them. And then, for my final trick, I made bagel chips, which resulted in minor catastrophe** having nothing to do with the mats.

BAGEL CHIPS (half-gush, half recipe)
All I had to do was slice somewhat stale bagels in half width-wise, run the halves through a mandoline, and bake them at 350 for about ten minutes. I did not sprinkle or spray them with anything. This produced the freshest, tastiest bagel chips I have ever eaten.

**My thumb is still attached, and I can avoid throwing up if I focus on not thinking about what I did to it.

No comments: