Thursday, October 27, 2011

Purge of the Day: Streamers

Another day, another story of crafting gone awry... A couple years ago, some (dedicated and wonderful) friends and I set out to make crepe paper roses for my unfailingly awesome friend Heather's bridal shower. Little did I know, CREPE PAPER IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND ANYWHERE! 

Even at Michael's, an employee pointed me to tissue paper. When I said that it wasn't the same thing, she pointed me to brown kraft paper. When I called Blick, the woman who answered had no idea what crepe paper was and thought I had the wrong number because, you see, "We sells arts and crafts type stuff." When I began, "I, um... I know. It's a type of--" she made fun of my stutter and hung up on me. Wish so very much that I were kidding.

Pearl actually had a package of red crepe paper. One. I needed more. They had no way of finding out when more was coming, but were very friendly and said I could call to check in periodically to see if more had come in. I did that for three weeks, then I started to feel bad about bothering them.

I got desperate. I bought crepe streamers at Target and decided, damn it, if we couldn't make big roses, we would just have to make tiny ones. Then immediately afterward, I found Create For Less online, and just ordered a pile of normal-size crepe paper, and we made normal-size roses. It was fun. I later made some more as a get well present for my aunt. The end.

EXCEPT that I still had these damned streamers until just now. But now they are gone. Isn't it weird how random stuff ends up in your home? The end, for real this time.

No comments: