Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Backdoor Gift Idea: Get your crap out of Mom and Dad’s House


This could be considered a Purge of the (Many) Day(s Ago)... maybe? Last Christmas, Jonathan and I spent two nights cleaning out my old bedroom closet. I hadn’t lived with my parents in ten years, so I figured that anything I hadn’t come back to retrieve in that time was probably something I didn’t need. We filled three garbage bags. Sad, huh? A lot of it was old homework assignments that could have been tossed or shredded years earlier. 

I always feel guilty creating trash or recycling of any kind, but I think the way to look at it is this: the stuff in my closet was already trash. It was going to end up in a landfill or recycling center eventually. It’s just a matter of now or later. If I did it now, my parents wouldn’t have to put up with the ridiculously messy closet anymore. It shouldn’t be their problem.

Anyway, I think this is a nice thing to do, and I also think there are probably a lot of parents who don’t want to say it in so many words, but they really wish you would just take your sh*t and go. But in a nice way! What a nice holiday surprise for them to suddenly have more house than they had before. And you can totally do that for them. No pressure or anything.

No comments: