Friday, January 27, 2012
Vegetarian Recipe: Stewed Lentils Over Rice
Yum! So Jonathan and I were in need of a recipe to use some of the sprouted red lentils that came in our box, and we found a recipe from Out of the Box Collective's March 5, 2011 meal plan. We didn't have a few of the ingredients (like garlic stalks or stewed tomatoes), so we adapted it to suit what we did have on hand, and added quantities to the recipe. We started out by using the suggested squeeze of lemon, but it ended up not being quite flavorful enough for our taste, so we added more. It ended up really, really tasty. We ate it along with some roasted cauliflower, as OBC suggested. I already can't wait to dig in to the leftovers!
Stewed Lentils Over Rice (Adapted from this issue of OBC's newsletter)
2 large fresh beefsteak tomatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed and diced
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 cups sprouted red lentils
3 cups vegetable broth, divided use
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper
steamed rice (We used plain old white rice this time.)
1) Saute diced tomatoes and garlic in a small amount of olive oil (1-2 tbsp) over medium-high heat until softened. Season with salt and pepper liberally while this is cooking. Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Cook until half the broth is left in the pan.
2) Add onion to pan. Cook until soft.
3) Add lentils and all remaining vegetable broth. Bring to boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer, covered, 20 minutes. The end product should be a similar consistency to baked beans.
4) Remove lid. If any extra liquid remains, stir and cook until it has mostly evaporated.
5) Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Serve over rice.
Enjoy your weekend!