Friday, February 3, 2012

Out of the Box #3

Happy Friday, everyone!! Here's what came in the box this week.



Produce:
1 bag brussels sprouts
1 butternut squash
1 sprig rosemary
1 bunch marjoram
3 cucumbers
15 small potatoes
7 carrots (purple, yellow, orange)
4 beets
1 green garlic (not sure if it's called a head or a stalk in this form)
5 purple spring onions
1 head red lettuce
1 head cauliflower
4 blood oranges
6 kiwi
1 grapefruit
8 tangerines


The Other Stuff:
1 dozen eggs from Dare to Dream Farms
about 1/2 sandwich bag farro from Grass Valley Grains (grain/pulse)
2 oz fennel seed from The Spicy Gourmet (fair trade)
1 oz applewood smoked sea salt from Tour de Salt (local specialty)
8oz Bona Dea Meyer Lemon Marmalade (local specialty)
5 oz blistered almonds from Fat Uncle Farms (nut/dried fruit)
1 wedge of Wagon Wheel from Cowgirl Creamery (California cheese)


Here's the best pork roast ever, made with ingredients from the box:


That crazy-good rub was made with garlic, rosemary, fennel seed, smoked salt, and pepper, per instructions in this week's meal plan.

A lot of the things that came this week are new to me, so I'm excited to see how everything works out. If you can believe it, I've never cooked a beet, green garlic, butternut squash, or four of the seven items in the grocery box. I'll let you know if I discover anything cool!

2 comments:

JanAlyssa said...

I loooove butternut squash... sadly, it makes Ben sick, so I make it for myself when he's not around. If you need recipes, I used it to make an easy and awesome baked risotto once!

Raw butternut squash is also, weirdly, Wilson's favorite food in the entire world. Like... he would take that over a chunk of meat. Silly pup!!

mm said...

That sounds awesome! Please send me everything!