Thursday, February 9, 2012

Purge of the Day: Kitchen Odds and Ends


Today, we cleaned out our utensil drawers and got rid of a lot of duplicates, along with this set of bowls. In giving them away, we opened up a spot on the shelf for this pretty set of rice bowls that we were given as a wedding gift, which heretofore had been sitting in the hall closet for lack of a better place to put them.

Now that they're within reach, I have a feeling we'll be using them in no time. 

It's weird how stuff accumulates in a kitchen and you somehow end up with five plastic ladles. I can't explain it. I let myself get so stuff-numb that I had no idea what was in my home or why. I'm determined to keep hacking away, piece by piece, making sense of it. I just finished organizing the bigger utensils into three compartments: cut, stir/flip, and serve. "Cut" includes everything from knives and sharpeners to peelers to a cake level, but it makes sense to me, so I think it's going to be easy to implement. I think I sometimes hit a roadblock in organizing when I pick a place for something but without a solid reason why. If the reason doesn't resound with me, I forget pretty quickly, and everything gets messy again. 

Man, I have to come up with a good way of ending posts.



No comments: